Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I own a business in Kentucky and owe state sales tax to the…

Customer Question
I own a business...

I own a business in Kentucky and owe state sales tax to the state of Kentucky. Can the state of Kentucky place a lien on my home in Pennsylvania jointly owned by me and my wife

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Business is in Kentucky home is in Pennsylvania

Accountant's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Tax
11/14/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 5 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It depends on the state budget and amount you owe. For state of KY to get a lien on property in PA they would have to hire a PA lawyer and get a court order. If the amount is less than 10K, it is not likely KY will even try. And if the property is heavily mortgage they may not even get what they want. A lien only means they will be entitled to some of the sales proceeds when you sale the property. It does not mean that they will sell your property.

KY will probably go after your business assets or something that is easier to get or cash like bank accounts or federal refund. You may not be able to renew your KY business licence or register your business cars. They will find other ways to collect than wait for years if you ever sell your house.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney