Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have a question regarding a tax lien. It isn't regarding a

I have a question regarding...
I have a question regarding a tax lien.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: It isn't regarding a property.
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: My mother is a claimant in the national VW class action, and is eligible for a settlement. If she accepts the settlement, can the IRS take it to satisfy the lien?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The lien was filed against her personal property in OR.
11/14/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Personal property can be bank accounts as well so yes they could place a levy on her account and take the money.

The third party paying her could also receive a notice to send the money (or a portion) to the US Treasury as well. I say could because that would require them knowing prior to payout that she is to receive $X amount of money.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
just to ensure I understood your answer.... if IRS doesn't know in advance of any pending settlements, VW won't be required to satisfy the lien at payout. But if they attach the lien to her personal bank account, the money can be seized. Did I understand correctly?

If VW knows of the lien then they will send it on to the IRS. If the money goes into her bank account then the IRS could levy the account.

Thank you for the rating. When you rate that compensates the expert for their time in assisting you.

Best wishes

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4