Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How to find out if I have a irs levy or lien. My mother

Customer Question
How to find out...

How to find out if I have a irs levy or lien

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My mother passed away in 1999 I was her heir/executrix, in 2005 met life reported underlying shares and I just discovered it. Also, in 2008 I began working contract labor until about 2011 and got behind in taxes, to be exact about 12,000 payments have been sporadic, except for they take my 1400 tax return at the end of each year. can the IRS take my unclaimed texas state property

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

Ive probably paid about 6000.00 of the 12K back

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
11/14/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

To see if there is an IRS lien you can

Call the IRS Centralized Lien Unit at(###) ###-####to ask if there are any tax liens on your property.

Go to the local recorder's office for the county in which the lien was filed. Ask if there are any records of liens on your property. You might have to pay a fee for the copies.

If you are in a repayment agreement (Installment Agreement) the IRS does not initiate collections. If you are not or you have defaulted and the unclaimed property can be traced to you then yes, they could place a levy on that.