Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I live in Texas (no State Income Tax) and got offered a part

time telecommute job in the...
I live in Texas (no State Income Tax) and got offered a part time telecommute job in the State of California. They are going to take out State Income Tax on my California paycheck. Will i taxed in California for my income that I gain at my full time employer in Texas?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: nope
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/13/2017
Chad CFP ®
Chad CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

Generally, you are taxed by state you are in while you generate the income.

Is your question: Which state you will be taxed in?

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
because I don't want to pay California State Income tax on my full income earned

While you are working in Texas you will be subject to Texas State income tax on your earned income.

If you travel to the home office in California and work for a week there, then that week of earned income is taxed by California.

As of recently five states deviate from this standard. Delaware, Nebraska, NJ, NY and PA.

"The five other states—Delaware, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania—deviate from the aforementioned taxation methods by employing the convenience versus necessity test. This allows these states to tax the income of a nonresident telecommuter if his or her employer is located in the state."

Here is an additional source for your review and verification

https://www.sba.gov/blogs/payroll-concerns-remote-employees

Chad CFP ®
I would be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have. At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to accept the answer by rating the answer with three stars or more. A positive rating of five stars is always appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you for the rating and please do let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you!

Chad CFP ®
Chad CFP ®