Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Tax return garnished for restitution, does that mean it goes…

Customer Question
tax return garnished for...

tax return garnished for restitution, does that mean it goes against my monthly payment so I reduced the garnished amount I pay each month?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I am supposed to pay $300 a month for resitution, my tax return was garnished $4500 this year. Does that mean I do not pay my $300 each month as the garnishment was more than my required payments?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
11/13/2017
Tax Professional: Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 months ago
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will help you. If there is an agreement in place (garnishment or payment plan), the IRS usually sticks to plan to the letter, unless there is a further adjustment to your account. I would say the first step is to find out why your garnishment payments increased, because these new monthly payments may very well be expected by the IRS due to an adjustment you know nothing about. I would call them right away to understand the garnishment adjustment (1-***-***-****). Please let me know if you have any follow up questions for me. Thanks!

Hello - just wanted to see if you had any follow up questions for me. If finished, please take some time to rate my service. Thanks!