Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can I keep a secret bank account my husband doesn't know…

Customer Question
Can I keep a...

Can I keep a secret bank account my husband doesn't know about and will never be claimed on income taxes? This includes gifts of money and potential inheritance.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

That's it

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

divorce might be in the future.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
11/13/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 9 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am prepping my response. I will get back to you shortly.

There is no law against a husband and wife having separate bank accounts and I am sure that this is done quite frequently. As far as you keeping it secret, that would be something that you would need to make sure of. Unless you're receiving interest earned on funds in the bank account, funds in a bank account are not reported on your taxes. Also note that on the federal level, an inheritance is not taxable income, not is a monetary gift taxable income. There are a few states do impose taxes on inheritances.

-------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

I meant to write...nor is monetary gift taxable income.