Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I bought a rental property for 49000 and sold it for 29000…

Customer Question
I bought a rental...

I bought a rental property for 49000 and sold it for 29000 many years later. During those years I depreciated it entirely. So do I it don't I have to pay capital gain on the entire 29000?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

That's it

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I am now retired. I have another rental property purchased six months later for which I should have done an exchange but didn't. I am trying minimize my tax liability from the 29000 sale.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
11/11/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 8 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** am prepping my response. I will get back to you shortly.

When calculating your capital gain, you must first calculate your “basis” in the capital asset before subtracting it from the sales proceeds to determine the tax owed. Your basis is the purchase price adjusted for improvements, depreciation, and other adjustment items. Think of basis as an adjusted purchase price.

--------------------------------------

In closing, my goal is to provide you with the best experience possible! Hopefully, the service that I have provided has earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. Thank you in advance. If you require further assistance, use the reply box and let me know.

In addition, many people tend to forget about the depreciation recapture. SEE BELOW:

--------------------------

Refer to the article at the following link for more detailed information regarding depreciation recapture.

https://www.thebalance.com/depreciation-recapture-3192979