Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I inherited a house[with a MORTGAGE) I have been married for…

Customer Question
I inherited a house[with...

I inherited a house[with a MORTGAGE) I have been married for 10 1/2 years If we would get divorced even though the house is only my name but since I am disabled and can't make motg. Payments by myself. Would we have to split house up equally

Accountant's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?

No but since I am disabled I can't write off the interest yearly but if I would put his name on the house we would b able to get the $10,000 back yearly thru IRS taxes. What should I do

Accountant's Assistant: Where is the house located?

Nottingham, Maryland. 21236

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If after 10 yrs. We have to split my house if we would get divorce. I just want 2 no whether or not we would have to split it up in a divorce then wouldn't I b smarter 2put his name on it so we could write off the interest (which I don't make enough to pay the mortgage by myself

Accountant's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

What should I do?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/10/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Please tell me if you usually file a joint return with your spouse?

Do you file a joint return with your spouse? I need to know if you file joint or as Married Filing Separate so I can advise.

Just adding his name to the deed is not enough for him to be able to deduct the interest. That would though change the ability for you to keep the house should you divorce.

I will wait for you to respond.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4