Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I donate my home to my 501c3 nonprofit organization, will

I be in any violation...
If I donate my home to my 501c3 nonprofit organization, will I be in any violation of IRS tax laws.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: So I saw that an individual or business could donate real estate to a charitable organization with 501c3 status and get full market value of the home as a tax deductible write off. I am a board member of the 501c3 I would consider donating my home to. I want to know would this be legal or not.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I can't think of anything else.
11/10/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Donating your home to your nonprofit could very well be a conflict of interest in that it is a transaction or arrangement that would benefit the private interest of you, as a director.

The IRS may also view it as an act of self-dealing.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent