Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If I donate my home to my 501c3 nonprofit organization, will…

If I donate my...

If I donate my home to my 501c3 nonprofit organization, will I be in any violation of IRS tax laws.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

So I saw that an individual or business could donate real estate to a charitable organization with 501c3 status and get full market value of the home as a tax deductible write off. I am a board member of the 501c3 I would consider donating my home to. I want to know would this be legal or not.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I can't think of anything else.

11/10/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Donating your home to your nonprofit could very well be a conflict of interest in that it is a transaction or arrangement that would benefit the private interest of you, as a director.

The IRS may also view it as an act of self-dealing.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.