Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have the tax ID Number can I obtain a copy of the taxes…

I have the tax ID...
I have the tax ID Number can I obtain a copy of the taxes myself? I want to see what the Trustee has been reporting because she's done all kinds of fraud and I suspect income tax is no difference?
11/9/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Trust return is not a public record. Generally the trust attorney decides who will get copy of the trust return. As required by the law, he must provide copy of the trust return to

1. Successor Trustee named in the trust

2. Initial beneficiaries named in the trust

3. Trust accountant

4. Personal representative named in the trustmaker's will

5. Tax authorities.

If you are one of them you can legally request copy of the trust return. If you are not and you request a copy from the IRS (assuming you have enough information to do it) without the attorney's knowledge, you can be charged with a fraud or attempt to commit a fraud.

It would be like requesting somebody else's transcript (using somebody else's social security number, address and such).

I'm the only beneficiary
Actually I think the trustee is lying about the amount she paid the attorney to handle a deed in lieu of foreclosure and I have been tempted to contact her but I figured she won't tell me? Do you think I can try to contact her?
Or maybe I send the attorney a copy of the accounting saying she's still paying her to this day and it was over in nov 2014

As a beneficiary you are entitled to a copy of the trust return and the attorney should be able to get you one. If you suspect unfair or illegal activity the attorney should be able to help to take appropriate steps to get her removed. Because this is state level legal issue, the proper action will depends on your state law.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser