Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Accidentally sent IRS an unsigned copy of our 2016 form 1040…

Accidentally sent IRS an...

Accidentally sent IRS an unsigned copy of our 2016 form 1040 and later received a form 3531 requesting a valid original signature. Should that returned signature be dated to the original submittal date or the date that it was re signed and resubmitted?

11/9/2017
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

The 2016 1040 should be dated for the actual date you sign the form.

Internal Revenue Manual 3.11.3.14.10

"An original signature, made by the taxpayer, is required below the jurat (perjury statement) and within the box "Sign Here" area of the return."

Your original signature should be dated on the actual date of the original signature.

Here is a link to the manual I indicated above.

https://www.irs.gov/irm/part3/irm_03-011-003r#idm140438272424640

_____

If you have any follow up questions or would like for me to expand on my answer above please let me know!

At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to accept the answer by rating the answer with three stars or more.

A positive rating of five stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!

If you have no further questions please take a moment to rate and accept the answer.

If you do have any follow up questions please let me know.

Thank you

Hello?

I would be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have. My goal is to provide you with 5 star service.

Do you have any further questions for me today?

If you have no further questions please take a moment to accept the answer by clicking on the stars on your screen, which will close out the question.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®