Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I receive a tax credit for a solar rebate? I get 2000…

Can I receive a tax...
Can I receive a tax credit for a solar rebate? I get 2000 dollars of disability every 2 weeks but it is not taxable. My question is if I purchase my solar system can I get a California tax rebate?
11/7/2017
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You can get a rebate on purchase if the seller offers it. You will have to check with the seller and also your local utility company if any rebate is available in your area.

The tax credit is federal and is not refundable. It means it will reduce your tax liability to zero but it will not generate additional refund beyond what was withheld (prom your paycheck or retirement check) or estimated taxes you paid.

If you do not have any taxable income, your tax liability is 0 so you will not benefit from a credit.

Ok thank you for answering my question.

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

plain and simple I can not get a tax credit because I don't work and put into the tax system correct? And yes there are tax credits available in the area I live in.

It is not exactly like that. You can have 30K income but if you have a family of 4, after claiming standard deduction and child tax credit for your children you will still end up with no tax liability and you cannot claim any additional nonrefundable credit. Or you can make 50K but have a rental property or a business that is claiming heavy losses, you can also end up with 0 tax liability and cannot claim any credits any more. Nonrefundable credits are meant to lower or eliminate your tax liability but will not generate additional refund because you cannot have negative tax liability.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser