Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I would like to start a non profit (tax exempt). I am

Customer Question
located in Idaho. The main...
I would like to start a non profit (tax exempt). I am located in Idaho. The main reason for the non profit will be to help people in need, like the poor and needy with humanitarian services and products (like delivering food to those in need, clothes, medicine...).Please let me know what I need to do, where I need to go and how much it all will cost to me.Thank you
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
11/8/2017
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to type my answer.

I am actually helping my wife form a non-profit organization that assists cancer patients. She is fighting renal cell carcinoma, stage 4, right now, and she wants to help others with this disease.

In order to form a not-for-profit, you need to incorporate in the state you wish to operate. If you incorporate in Idaho, there are several companies that will do it for you.

These include:

https://www.legalzoom.com/sem/business/nonprofit/nonprofit.html?kid=c56245d5-bf3c-42ed-872d-835794447a76&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=+forming_a_+nonprofit&utm_content=202004865028&utm_campaign=BIZ_|_NonProfit&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1fzHx-it1wIVZCjTCh2S_AcwEAAYAiAAEgKJiPD_BwE

https://heroes.do/501c3-LP-OP-b/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1fzHx-it1wIVZCjTCh2S_AcwEAAYAyAAEgJaDfD_BwE

https://www.rocketlawyer.com/article/how-to-start-a-non-profit-in-idaho.rl

https://www.harborcompliance.com/information/how-to-start-a-non-profit-organization-in-idaho

Some of these can be expensive, others are not so much. I used to charge $1,000 plus the state and IRS filing fees.

After you are incorporated, you fill out a Form 1023 with the IRS. This is how you get your 501(c)(3) determination.

After you get approval from the IRS, you will be required to file Forms 990 each year, plus reports with the Idaho Attorney General and the Idaho Secretary of State.

Here are a couple of of websites that will help you:

https://www.idahononprofits.org/starting-a-nonprofit

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great week!