Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My husband and I are currently in a mess with both IRS and…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I are currently in a mess with both IRS and the State of Maine. For more than 20 years, we have been paying the IRS with payroll deducted payments Then the company went bankrupt. It seems though we are just sending money and it is not being credited. The State of Maine is now being paid at 800.00 per month which is dropping the balance rather quickly and it is expected that the balance will be paid in full within about 10 more months. The IRS says they are looking for returns for 2012 through 2016. They want me to refile all of those years. However, The State is including these filed tax returns in their monthly statements. The IRS advised me to call the State and ask them for copies of returns and they do not have anything to do with the IRS. We have never "run" from them, or hidden anything. We have hired four or five different agencies to help us, All we got was money taken from us. They are truly the lowest form of life and should not be able to practice ANY kind of tax relief. We lost thousands of dollars messing around with these scam artists. In closing, I am only looking for advice on how to solve this without going crazy. I have had both services tell me that they are going to send me papers to fill out and have yet to see anything.

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

My name is***** 09/221968 and my husband of nearly 30 years is

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
11/7/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Many times the tax relief agency offer promises that they are not able to deliver. I can go through the options that you have.

How did you file your taxes for 2012 - 2016? Were these electronically filed?

You mentioned that there were payments withheld from your paychecks. For what years taxes were these from?

I'm not sure what years but it was after 1999

The IRS has 10 years to collect once the taxes are assessed. So this would be once the returns are filed. I would suggested getting tax transcripts from the IRS to see what the statute dates are.

Your options with the IRS are to set up an installment agreement. The IRS will allow a payment plan for up to 72 months. The other option is an offer in compromise.

An offer in compromise, allows you to make to make an offer to settle your taxes. The other can be paid as a lump sum or via periodic payments of 6 to 24 months. There is an application fee associated with an offer in compromise.

The IRS has a tool to see if you qualify for an offer in compromise. Here is the link to the tool.

https://irs.treasury.gov/oic_pre_qualifier/