Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm an interior Designer located in New York. I've recently…

Customer Question
I'm an interior Designer...

I'm an interior Designer located in New York. I've recently started working with clients in New Jersey. My bookkeeper is suggesting I get set up for resale in New Jersey. Can I do this if I'm not located in New Jersey?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I'm already set up for resale in New York.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
11/7/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 6 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Anyone who makes retail sales in this State, including sales at flea markets, craft shows, or trade shows, is doing business in New Jersey and must comply with the State’s tax laws.

New Jersey law requires all vendors, even seasonal businesses and “one-time” vendors, to register with the State for tax purposes at least 15 business days before starting business, and to collect New Jersey sales tax on all sales of taxable tangible personal property or services. There are no special provisions for temporary vendors. Once registered, you must file all required returns until you properly end your tax registration with New Jersey.
File Form NJ-REG (Business Registration Application) to register with the State to collect/remit New Jersey taxes such as sales tax or employee withholdings, and to obtain a New Jersey tax identification number. You can register online or file a paper application.

You can respond below or scroll up to click a positive rating.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4