Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am retired and my only income is SS retirement benefits.

My wife works and will...
I am retired and my only income is SS retirement benefits. My wife works and will make about $40,000.00 in 2017. I want to file married filing separate for 2017 - avoiding an any tax on my SS benefits Can I do this?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: no
11/5/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

You woudl have to look at half your SSA benefits to see if you are required to file. Generally you look at all your other income and half your SSA benefits to see your BASE amount for SSA taxable. If you file MFS your BASE amount is $0, That means that half your SSA is considered taxable.

If half of the SSA is enough to require you file then you will find that you will owe when you file.

If half your SSA is at least $9,325 then you have to file.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I personally have zero other income. I understand that if SS is my only source of income, it is not taxable. Yes? No?

No.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sorry - I may not understand.
Is my SS money taxable or not taxable - it is my only source of income.

It depends on how much your SSA benefits are

I would have to know the actual amount of benefits you are receiving

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK - I'll check.Thanks
bye

You are welcome.

A positive rated would be appreciated

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Arthur Rubin
Phone call session started
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4