Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

What are tax implications when docating small IRS to state…

Customer Question
What are tax implications...

What are tax implications when docating small IRS to state university

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

IRA sorry

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

This IRA held in trust with university beneficary

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
11/3/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional replied 9 months ago
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

W​elcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today

Are you referring to donating a small IRA?.

D​istributions from an IRA will need to be claimed as income and you will receive a 1099 R.

You may then donate the distribution to a qualified charity and use the proper deduction. .

I​f this is not your question or you have additional questions please let me know!

I would be happy to answer any follow up questions you may have. At the conclusion of our conversation please take a moment to accept the answer by rating on three stars or more.

A positive rating of five stars is always appreciated.

Thank you!

r u saying this donation is not tax advantage - and IRA donation is considered income - if all the IRA is donated is that what r call distribution?
my IRA is $33,000 and would like to donate the full amount to University of Il and understood my answer to say would be considered income - is that correct.
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 9 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane. I am a different expert and I have a different answer.

...

hold a law degree, with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice on three continents since 1986.

...

A fairly recent tax law change made made permanent a tax law on qualified charitable distributions (QCDs) that allows individuals 70 ½ or older to give directly from their IRA's rather than having to take a distribution that would trigger an income-tax bill.

...

The rules allow you to save on taxes and, as a result, give more if you want. Because a QCD reduces income and is not an itemized deduction, it even benefits investors who do not itemize.

...

So although this isn't really a deduction, it's keeping the otherwise taxable income when taking a DISTRIBUTION from the IRA from ever being taxable.