Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

IRS Experts Corporation changed name. 2016 tax return has…

IRS ExpertsCorporation changed name. 2016...
IRS ExpertsCorporation changed name. 2016 tax return has been filed with a new name. Taxpayer recently received notice which has old name. How do we change the name with IRS?
11/2/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

The IRS instructions are:

"If you are filing a current year return, mark the appropriate name change box of the Form 1120 type you are using:

• Form 1120: Page 1, Line E, Box 3
  • Form 1120S: Page 1, Line H, Box 2

If you have already filed your return for the current year, write to us at the address where you filed your return to inform us of the name change. In addition:

• The notification must be signed by a corporate officer."

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Is there a form or just letter? If it was changed three years ago. Do we need to tell them?

Yes.

Send them a letter stating the name change and when it took place.

It appears as if the IRS missed it if you noted it on the tax return.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Have a great weekend!

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent