Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I run a 501 3c corp, a food shelf here in Minnesota to help…

Customer Question
Hi , I run...

Hi , I run a 501 3c corp , a food shelf here in Minnesota to help senior Citizens. i ALSO WON a lottery in Florida and am donating the prize of 975,000 dollars to fund the food shelf for the elderly citizens of Minnesota. The Fulfillment of the prize is the Dept of consumer and regulatory affairs out of Washington D.C.A man supposedly from the Miami airport says he works for homeland security and will notlet the person to deliver the prize to me in Minnesota deliver the prize to me until the excise tax is paid in Florida of $29,250. Do we have to pay the tax. My ein # is 47-3647660. You can reach me @(###) ###-####, I smell a scam, please call me to discuss, thank you, ***** ***** Hagstrom

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?

I do not think the people are employed by the dept and have not verified thier employment thereat the dept of consumer affairs in Wash. DC but did speak with a lady who works there and she told me its a scam I have sent about $19,000 to the people doing the fulfillment. Agent fees and good faith of $20,000 already paid, thanks, ***** *****

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
11/2/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

An excise tax is a tax directly levied on certain goods by a state of Florida.

Florida collects general excise taxes on the sale of motor fuel (gasoline and diesel), cigarettes (per pack), and cell phone service plans.

Other general taxes, similar to excise taxes, may be collected on other items including tanning salons, firearms, vehicle sales, gas guzzlers, transportation tickets, and more.

You may contact taxing authorities directly

The Customer Contact Center Center can be reached at (850) 487_1395

or via email by filling the contact form

http://www.myfloridalicense.com/contactus/

.

The IRS requires that the Florida Lottery withhold 25% federal withholding tax from prizes greater than $5,000 if the winner is a citizen or resident alien of the US.

There is NO income tax in Florida and there is NO excise tax in Florida on lottery winning.

Withholding is made from the payoff - and there is NO upfront payment required.

.

Be sure not to pay anymore and not to provide any personal information before reporting this incident to legal enforcement authorities.

Anyone who believes they may have been a victim of a scam should call the Florida Lottery's Division of Security at (850) 487_7730_

Sorry for your situation.