Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I've been on h1b for 2 years now for my bank do i file a w-9

Hi, i've been on h1b...
Hi, i've been on h1b for 2 years now for my bank do i file a w-9 or w-8ben or w-9eci? Thanks!
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What other info do you need?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I have stayed in the US since oct 2015 and maintened my h1b status till now for my bank they asked to fill either w-8ben /w-9 or w-8eci. Which do i file?
11/1/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Citizens of the US and Resident Aliens complete a W9 and non US persons complete a W8 form. You are a resident alien based on your time that has been spent in the US so you would complete the W9.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Gotcha, thanks!

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will do that. One other question, does indonesia have any treaty tax exemptions that can be applied towards the w-9 status?

I will check , one moment...........................

You are taxed in the US on all your income as a resident alien. Because you have been in the US for more than the 120 days you have passed the substantial presence test.

There is no exemption in the US for income under the treaty.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4