Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Self employed person (no employees) was set up for automatic…

Customer Question
Self employed person (no employees)...
Self employed person (no employees) was set up for automatic monthly contributions to her SEP plan during 2016. When she prepared her 2016 tax return in April 2017, her CPA determined that there was an excess contribution made of $965. The correct amount was deducted on her 2016 tax return, but the excess was not distributed from her SEP IRA. From what I read, she would now have to file Form 5330 to pay the 10% excise tax, but can leave the 2016 excess contribution of $965 in the SEP IRA and apply it to her 2017 contribution (she turned off the automatic contributions to her SEP IRA and once her amount is determined for 2017 she will reduce the deposit by the $965). Is that correct or am I missing any other step?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
10/31/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - that is correct.

Excess contributions left in the employee’s SEP-IRA after that time will be subject to the 6% tax on the employees’ IRAs, and the employer may be subject to a 10% excise tax on the excess nondeductible contributions.

https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/sep-fix-it-guide-contributions-to-the-sep-ira-exceeded-the-maximum-legal-limits

There is another option - to treat that SEP IRA contribution as regular traditional IRA contribution.

That is - SEP IRA account is just a regular IRA account to hold SEP IRA contributions.

Because a SEP-IRA is a traditional IRA, you may be able to make regular, annual IRA contributions to this IRA, rather than opening a separate IRA account.

Questions?

Does the self employed person pay both the 6% excise tax on Form 5329 as the SEP IRA participant and also the 10% excise tax on Form 5330 as the employer? If so, would that be different if the excess SEP IRA contribution is treated as a regular traditional IRA contribution (the other option you mentioned)?

Form 5330 is not used by self-employed taxpayers - only form 5329 will be used for excise tax purposes.

If you treat a part of THAT contribution as a regular traditional IRA contribution - there is NO excise tax and no need to use Form 5329.

In this case - traditional IRA contribution is deducted on 1040 line 32

or if the taxpayer doesn't qualify for the deduction - use form 8606 to claim nondeductible contribution.

Sorry, but your second reply has me confused moreso. In your first reply you stated I was correct when I talked about the self-employed person filing Form 5330 to pay the 10% excise tax on the excess SEP contribution, but then your second reply stated that Form 5330 is not used by a self-employed taxpayer. Based on the scenario that the self-employed person made an excess contribution of $965 into her SEP for 2016 and it still remains in the SEP as she wants to consider it part of her 2017 contribution, what tax form does she have to file to correct her situation?

Sorry for confusion.

Form 5330 is used by plan administrators for employee's contributions and 10% excise tax is paid by an employer.

Self-employed person only pays 6% excise tax and only use form 5329.

There is a special rule for self-employed individuals - the 10% excise tax doesn't apply to any contribution made to meet the minimum funding requirements in a money purchase pension plan or a defined benefit plan. Even if that contribution is more than your earned income from the trade or business for which the plan is set up, the difference isn't subject to this excise tax.

Based on the scenario that the self-employed person made an excess contribution of $965 into her SEP for 2016 and it still remains in the SEP as she wants to consider it part of her 2017 contribution, what tax form does she have to file to correct her situation?

There is NO any special form to be used in such scenario.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.