Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Matt contributes equipment with an adjusted basis of $40,000

Customer Question
and a FMV of $36,000...
Matt contributes equipment with an adjusted basis of $40,000 and a FMV of $36,000 to CLP in return for 3% limited partnership interest. Matt's share of CLP income and losses for the year were as follows:
Interest $1,000
Dividends $600
Capital Gains $1,800
Ordinary Loss $ (8,650)
CLP had no liabilities. What are Matt's initial basis, allowed losses, and ending at risk amount?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
10/31/2017
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 month ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where is the answer?

Initial basis 36000

8650 allowed loss

At risk is 30,750

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That can't be right. I originally put my initial basis as 40,000 and was told that part was correct. I came up with 43,400 as my at risk prior to the loss. I was told my loss allowed was incorrect.

I'll look at this and get back to you shortly.

See my revised answer below:

Answer:

Initial At-Risk $40,000

Interest $ 1,000

Dividends $ 600

Capital Gain $ 1,800

At-Risk Prior to Loss $43,400

Loss Allowed under At-Risk rules ($ 9,850)

Ending At-Risk $ 33,550

Thanks for asking at Just Answer. Positive feedback, plus a bonus (this took some review) will be appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm not trying to be difficult but those are the exact answers I put on my sheet. The loss of 9850 is not correct. That is the one I was flagged on as incorrect. That is not right.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello???

I'm not sure what to do for you here. We agree on our answer, but your instructor does not. I suspect that he is missing the at risk adjustment.

I can tell you I got this answer by reviewing the rules, then I found the solution in an answer key for a tax textbook. So I am confident in it.

Thanks for using Just Answer. Kindly rate my assistance to complete your request. Five stars is the best feedback rating.

PDtax

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can we put another person on this question. My instructor is saying it is not correct.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Your first answer wasn't even close so I'm not too confident in what I am hearing here.
PDtax
PDtax