Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I worked for Local Government Fayetteville NC and worked

23+years and am vested. My...
I worked for Local Government Fayetteville NC and worked 23+years and am vested. My husband and I had a business and had a CPA doing our bookkeeping. When we sold business to son our daughter started helping me do the taxes and she didn't know about me being vested so my taxes were wrong but we did not know until my husband passed on Nov 8 2015. Make a long story short last year I paid a lot of taxes and then we realized I should have not paid state tax and we have filed $-400 for 2 years back which would be 2015 and 2016 and I would like to know if they have been received and processed. Thank You Janet K James PO BOX 146 Falcon
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: I do not know. I am retired a widow of Reuben James and we (Daughter and I) were trying to get refund of last 2 years but I had been paying state tax for approx. 7 years in error
10/30/2017
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will help you. When you said you filed for 2 years back (2015 and 2016), I'm assuming you filed an amended NC state return for those particular years with the correction. If this is the case, you then want to see if NC received the amended return and has subsequently processed these amended returns. If this is the case, then you need to contact North Carolina Department of Revenue. First try this link (https://eservices.dor.nc.gov/wheresmyrefund/SelectionServlet). However, if it has been 5 months since you filed the amended return, then they want you to call them (1-***-***-****, press 3 and then press 1 to speak to an agent). Also you need to call that number if the link doesn't work for you.

Please let me know if this answers your question, or if you have any follow up questions for me.

Fred Rook
Fred Rook
Fred Rook