Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Information on Gift tax return. My 100 year old mother wants…

Customer Question
Information on Gift tax...

Information on Gift tax return

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

My 100 year old mother wants to gift the balance of a home loan to my brother, Balance is aprrox $35,000. What are the mechanics?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

No I don't believe so.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
10/27/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 6 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Because the $35,000 is more than the annual limit gift limit of $14,000, your mother will need to file Form 709 to report the gift.

Unless she has exceeded her lifetime gift cap of $5.49 million, no tax will be due.

There are no tax implications for your brother. Gifts are not taxable in the U.S.

Here's the link to Form 709 and its instructions:

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-709-united-states-gift-and-generation-skipping-transfer-tax-return

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

If I have answered your question, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to help you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent