Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I received a tax amnesty letter from the state of from a tax…

Customer Question
Hi, I received a tax...
Hi, I received a tax amnesty letter from the state of Virginia from a tax bill from 2009 for $1,500. I thought the statute of limitations for state tax debt in Virginia was 3 years. I have also read in some posting that it is 20 years. Which is correct? I am on disability & unable to pay this amount. What are the legal repercussions if I cannot pay. Thank you for your time. Yours Kindly., Robert
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
10/27/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 8 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello Robert. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

The collection of tax assessments and underpayment of tax SOL period is generally 3 years, however, the SOL period on past due penalties and interest is 20 years. SEE BELOW:

------------------------------------

Generally, the Virginia Department of Taxation must collect tax assessments and underpayments from taxpayers within three years of when the taxes were originally due.

-------------------------------------

The Virginia Department of Taxation has 20 years to pursue collection efforts for past-due interest and penalties. The Department of Taxation can assess interest using the established IRS interest rate as allowed under the Internal Revenue Code Section 6221, plus an additional two percent. The Commonwealth assesses late penalty charges at 6 percent monthly, limited to 30 percent when taxpayers are at least six months behind in their taxes.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://irstaxatttorney.blogspot.com/2013/12/virginia-statute-of-limitations-on.html

----------------------------------

if you are unable to pay the amount, you can request to be placed on a payment plan. SEE BELOW:

How to set up a payment plan

• Call our Collections Department at ***-***-**** during regular business hours to speak with a representative, or

• Call our automated system, Teleplan, available 24 hours a day at ***-***-****

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/set-payment-plan

----------------------------------------

You may also want to consider applying for an Offer In Compromise. SEE BELOW:

Offer in Compromise

An offer in compromise is a proposal to settle your tax bill for less than the full amount due.

We can consider offers in compromise from individuals and businesses for the following reasons:

• Waiver of penalties over $1,000 if extenuating circumstances kept you from filing or paying your taxes on time
  • You may not be liable for the amount assessed (doubtful liability)
  • You are currently experiencing financial hardship, and can show that you are not able to pay the full amount you owe (doubtful collectibility)

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/offer-compromise

If you do not require further assistance with this matter, I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

This is such a generic response to information that is available on a Google search this is really not a valuable service and is definitely not worth a $38 fee. Very disappointed. Robert

Hello again,

Respectfully, ***** ***** of the info did come from google searches, some of the info came directly from the Virginia Department of Taxation website. If the Department of Taxation website is not a reputable source, then, please, by all means, tell me what is.

You might want to review the Virginia Taxpayer's Bill of rights as well.

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/taxpayer-rights

Respectfully, ***** ***** not going to get any more reputable than that.

Not satisfied. Your site states that you guarantee satisfaction with your service. I am not satisfied. Please refund. Thank you.

Have a good night.