Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I file form NYC-3L and add to my tax the first estimated

Customer Question
payment for the following year...
I file form NYC-3L and add to my tax the first estimated payment for the following year, I'm trying to find this amount of my tax return where it was included in current year taxes due, the 1st estimated payment of the following year plus the current year
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
10/26/2017
Tax Professional: Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 month ago
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you. I wanted to first clarify your question. Are you trying to find out what the 1st estimate from your 2016 return that will be applied to your 2017 tax is? If this is your question I can direct you to the line where this is reported. Please let me know if I understand your question. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no I'm looking for where it is added to the current year tax liability, if my current year taxes is lets say 1000 and my estimate for the first payment is 250 for the following year where do I find the amount 1250 on the return
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the first est payment has to be paid with the current return

Your tax should be shown on line 11, and the first year estimate is shown on line 12a or 12b depending on if there is an extension. The tax plus the first year estimate is shown on line 13 of the NYC-3L. In your case, the 1,000 should show up on line 11, the 250 should be on line 12a or 12b, and the 1250 should appear on line 13. Let me know if this is what you are looking for.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok let me see

If you have any follow up questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok got that, I've made some mistakes,
I used software taxact and filed the ext as well as the return on time, but when I filed the ext because I file more than one return, the return did not pick up that I had filed an ext and therefore on line 12b I have an amount due, since I did file an ext should there be a number there , my tax was over 1000, the amount that I did send with the ext is included on
line 14

If you filed an extension, then on the NYC-EXT, you should have had a number on line 2, which is 25% of line 1 (the tax) if over 1,000 as you said. The number that you reported on line 2 of the NYC-EXT that represents the 1st installment for the next year goes on line 12a. There should be nothing on line 12b because you did file the extension.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that's what I'm saying there , there is a number on 12b but I did file an ext

Ok, then move the number on 12b to 12a, just make sure that's the number that was reported on line 2 of the NYC-EXT.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
its already filed

Ah - i think that's the piece of info I didn't understand. In that case, I would stand pat (ex - not file an amended return). I have seen many situations like this before, and NYC seems to processes the number on 12a or 12b the same way. Just be on the lookout - worst case is that NYC sends an adjustment letter showing a difference between how they calculated the return vs how you filed the return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No they charged me something on 12b nothing should have been there because I filed the Ext

Ok - so just trying to understand the facts here. When you say they charged me something on 12b, are you saying that the tax program calculated the 25% of the tax on the return for 12b, and the amount on 12b IS DIFFERENT than what was reported on your extension (and should have been put on 12a)? Pls confirm if this is correct.

Hello - just following up to see if you had any follow up questions for me. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’ll get back you when I put together the info clearly

Ok, speak to you then.

Fred Rook
Fred Rook