Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Is real estate income taxed only in the state they are

Hi. Is real estate income...
Hi. Is real estate income taxed only in the state they are generated in? For example, if someone owned investment real estate in Texas that has a 0% state income tax and lives in Pennsylvania, would that income not be taxed in Pennsylvania? Also, are there any states that tax out of state real estate income?
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No.
10/20/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Most states that have an income tax, tax their residents on all income regardless of where the income is generated. So, in your example PA would certainly tax a resident on income received in TX.

States do offer a credit for their residents that pay tax in a non resident state. If the income in your example would have been in GA instead, GA would require a filing to report and if tax was due or paid, then PA would allow a credit for that tax in GA.

Then you have states with reciprocal agreements. In those many times only the resident state taxes.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited. Thank you in advance so I am credited

Did my answer address your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I may ask a follow up question, which states does PA have reciprocal agreements with that would cause real estate income specifically to be only taxed by PA? Thank you.

Pennsylvania has signed reciprocal agreements with Indiana, Maryland, New Jersey,Ohio, Virginia, and West Virginia under which one state will not tax employee compensation, subject to employer withholding of the other state. These agreements apply to employee compensation only. They have none for the type you ask about

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4