Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

The CA franchise tax board call yesterday stating that I

Customer Question
didn't file my 2001 540...
The CA franchise tax board call yesterday stating that I didn't file my 2001 540 returns. I have been on a garnish plan with them since about 2014. I can't find that years forms. What can I do?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: They say no I can't find any records of it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not for now
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
10/19/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 1 month ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

While I do not have any suggestions as to how you can try to find out whether a return dated that far back was filed or not, I can say that typically the Franchise Tax Board does not call taxpayers indicating that they have not filed a tax return, especially from that far back (over 10 years ago). However, there is a 20 year statute of limitations on the collection of tax in California. The call could be a scam. My suggestion to you is to set up an account online to see what information is available on your tax account. You can do this by going to the following webpage:

https://webapp.ftb.ca.gov/myftbaccess/iusername.aspx

You'll want to register as a new user. I'm not sure how far back the information that they have goes back to. If you don't have any luck trying this route, my suggestion is to call the FTB and see if they were actually the people who called you. Ask them if they provide account transcript information dating back to 2001, if so, request the transcript for that year. Call the following number....(800)(###) ###-#### Call Center hours are from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. weekdays.

If you do not require further assistance with this matter, I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant