Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just efiled a joint tax return for me and my wife.

Federal, Non Resident Hawaii, and...
I just efiled a joint tax return for me and my wife. Federal, Non Resident Hawaii, and Resident Massachusetts. My wife is a resident alien living in Thailand.
Turbotax didnt allow me to e file my Massachusetts tax return because my wife's schedule C has a foreign address. They told me that I had to mail it in. Why does Massachusetts have an issue with a foreign schedule C? Can I file married filing separately for Massachusetts after I efiled jointly for Federal and non resident Hawaii?
10/17/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, Massachusetts has issues with various items on ANY Schedule C, for whatever reason.

Yes. Massachusetts allows married persons to use the married filing separate status even though using the joint filing status on their federal return.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

What issues are we talking about with my particular case.

I apologize if I was not clear in my response.

What I mean is that efiling MA state returns with a Schedule C presents problems for all taxpayers with a Schedule C.

Your specific issue is the foreign address on the Schedule C, so it must be mailed to MA.

What problem would there be with a foreign address. My wife is still being taxed for that amount on our Massachusetts return. She didnt exclude it.

I understand what you're saying, but MA has problems with any information that is out of the ordinary. The foreign address is considered out of the ordinary by MA.

I have extensive experience as a tax expert for TurboTax and am quite familiar with these issues. You will have to mail the MA return.

I have not mailed it yet. Am I able to file married filing jointly for Massachusetts? Will that isolate the problem to just her tax return?

You can file MFJ for MA, but you will still have the same problem with her Schedule C containing a foreign address because her income will be included.

If I file as married filing separately for Massachusetts her schedule C will not be on my tax return correct?

Correct.

She lived in Thailand during 2016 not Massachusetts. She is considered a resident alien but she does not live in US. We filed jointly for Fed and non resident Hawaii. Will Mass expect her to file a Mass return if I alone file as married filing seperately?

She should also file a MA return as married filing separately.

Im not sure what problems there could be because we reported her worldwide income and we are paying Mass tax on her income. what are the chances of us being audited in thus circumstance on a scale of 1 to 10. 10 being very likely

There are really no problems. It is simply a matter of MA not being able to process/efile tax returns that contain information that as out of the ordinary.

Based on the information you have provided, the chance of being audited is 1.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
thank you. Im glad I used your service.

My pleasure.

Thank YOU for the positive rating of my answer. It is very much appreciated!

Please let me know if I can help you in the future.

Have a great week!

When turbotax put togetther the paperwork that I need to file for Mass they didnt include my wife's 2555 or our form 8949. Should I send a copy of those to Mass even though turbotax didnt include them?

Just send in the section for MA that TurboTax printed.

Dumb question but should I staple the return?

Yes.

Mail it certified mail, return receipt requested, and keep a copy for yourself.

Im sending it from Thailand. Is this going to be a problem? Will it be more strange?

No. There won't be a problem.

Use whatever service is available so that you get a signed receipt when the IRS receives it.

In the US, it's certified mail.

In Thailand, it may be registered mail.

If I sent the return to a family member in Mass who then mails it for me is that ok or is that somehow wrong?

That's okay, too. But have the family member mail it certified mail.