Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Two questions on federal tax deductibility: 1. We personally…

Two questions on federal tax...
Two questions on federal tax deductibility:
1. We personally paid legal fees for our manufacturer C Corp. The fees were for assistance in preparing a Research &
Development tax credit application. Can we deduct the fees on our personal return and if so would it be on Sch A.?2. How do we write off an investment in a partnership that is now worthless? Also, we did not get a K-1 for last year.
10/16/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. My name's Lane

...

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986

....

Yes, legal fees for business, income production, protection of business or ANYTHING tax related are deductible. And yes, if paid personally, would be schedule A subject to the 2% floor.

...

ON your second question, this is a capital loss, to the extent that you contributed capital. Report on 8949 flowing to schedule D.You report this just as you would the sale or disposition of other capital assets.

Got it on legal fees.
On the capital loss how the I handle the ending capital balance of $200 plus from the 2015 K-1 - the last one received.

And distribution (which is what that is) reduces your capital loss.

...

it's your OUTSIDE basis that forms the "basis," for the loss.

...

Outside basis is a little different from capital account.

...

I'm attaching an excellent worksheet for reconstructing that, if you haven't tracked:

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Great, thanks.
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS