Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I begin filing my LLC, which for the prior three years…

Customer Question
Can I begin filing my...
Can I begin filing my LLC, which for the prior three years filed as a partnership tax return, as an S Corp by simply filing form 2553?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Tax
10/16/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 4 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

See this from IRS, here: https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/llc-filing-as-a-corporation-or-partnership

...

"The Form 8832 is also filed to change the LLC’s entity classification. Thus, an LLC that has been treated as a partnership for several years may be able to prospectively change its classification to be treated as a corporation by filing Form 8832."

...

Had you not already been filing 1065's the 2553 would suffice.

...

You can do this now for a effective date of 01/01/2018, and can do so until 03-15-2018.

...

You will, of course needs to establish payroll, begin paying the required reasonable salary, and paying in FICA at least monthly and file the quarterly 941's.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS