Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

US credit rating - how to obtain one? I have an ITIN. Can I…

US credit rating - how...
US credit rating - how to obtain one?
I have an ITIN. Can I build up a US credit rating with that or do I also need an SSN or are they the same please?
Many thanks.
10/15/2017
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

Q: Can I build up a US credit rating with that or do I also need an SSN or are they the same please?

A: Yes, you can apply for credit with certain banks with an ITIN. An ITIN and social security number are two different things. In general, only non citizens with permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security can get a Social Security number. See below for some major banks that issue credit cards to individuals with ITINs, if that person meets their criteria.

------------------------------------

Can ITIN holders apply for a credit card?

Each bank operates differently when it comes to issuing credit cards for persons with out SSN. Here is a summary by bank.

1. American Express – You can apply with ITIN

American Express being a global organization, lets you leverage your existing relationship outside of USA for issuing credit. Per the Global Card Transfer program, you can transfer your one of the American Express Credit card from India to USA.

American Express will let you apply online for credit cards in USA with ITIN. You can also add an authorized user without an ITIN or SSN, but it needs to be done over phone or Chat.

2. Citi – You can apply with ITIN

Similar to American Express, you can leverage your existing relationship with Citi outside of USA for getting a credit card in USA. You can learn more about transferring your relationship with Citi in this page.

Citibank lets you apply online for credit cards in USA with ITIN.

3. Bank of America: You can apply with ITIN

Bank of America let you apply for credit cards with ITIN number. You may have to apply in branch with additional information.

If you do not require further assistance with this matter, I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Many thanks for your quick & comprehensive response.

Hello again. You are very welcome. Thank you for the positive rating. I do appreciate it.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant