Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Question regarding taxation of partnership distributions and

Hi, question regarding taxation of...
Hi, question regarding taxation of partnership distributions and capital gains
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: I am in a partnership, with primary business rental housing. We sold a property held >1 year, for a $30k capital gain. Proceeds of the sale was $75k, which I took as a distribution (it was my "deal", so I took all the proceeds). I am being taxed on the distribution and on the capital gain, which doesn't seem right.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: Cant think of anything.
10/15/2017
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. Is this a limited partnership? Did you have a negative capital account prior to the sale due to prior loss allocations?

to a limited partnership. No to a negative capital account

Did the distribution cause your capital account to be negative? And, are you also the general partner?

Hi Richard, the capital account did not go negative. Regarding the general partner, it is a corporation, 1% partner, both limited partners are officers of the Corp.

Can you provide me the K-1 which shows that you are being taxed on the distribution?

Richard, Tax Attorney
Phone call session started
Richard, Tax Attorney