Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Small schedule c business donates fully depreciated

Customer Question
Small schedule c business...

Small schedule c business donates fully depreciated furniture to charity. They've been told that the FMV is $1,000. What is the deduction for contributed property?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Thank you

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
10/14/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 9 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi. Lane here.

...

Deducting depreciated assets can be more difficult than some think.

...

Essentially, it requires reasonable valuation estimates, determination of tax basis and calculating the amount of ordinary income for each asset.

...

Start by by estimating fair market value, (FMV). FMV is the maximum amount you can take as a charitable contribution deduction.

...

IRS defines FMV as the price you can obtain from a willing, disinterested (no ownership interest or related parties) buyer at the time the donation is made.

...

Next, determine the adjusted tax basis for each asset (purchase price, sales taxes and cost of freight and installation -- minus the sum of all depreciation deductions taken on the asset)

...

If adjusted basis is more than an asset's FMV on the date of donation, your charitable contribution deduction is equal to its FMV.

...

But when FMV is greater than adjusted basis, however, the calculation requires an additional step -- calculating how much of the difference between FMV and adjusted basis constitutes ordinary income.

...

The tax rules limit the amount of your charitable deduction to the asset's FMV minus the amount of ordinary income that would result in a hypothetical sale.

...

For passthroughs (Schedule C, partners, S-Corps) charitable deductions are taken as an itemized deduction on Schedule A

SO here, you're looking at the asset's FMV minus the amount of ordinary income that would result in a sale at Fair Market Value.

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating, using the stars on your screen, and then clicking “submit" – That’s the only way I’ll be credited for the work.

...

But if you need more on this, please let me know.

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986