Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I filed for an extension to file my 2017 income tax return.

Customer Question
I recently suffered a stroke...
I filed for an extension to file my 2017 income tax return. I recently suffered a stroke - 6 weeks ago - and have been unable to finalize my return. I should be able to file it within the next 30 days. Can I get an additional extension or what should I do?
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
Customer: No. I have the information available. It is just a matter of assembling it into final form. I have some loss of use of my right hand and I was unable to work on this until now.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
10/13/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Actually, you filed an extension for your 2016 tax return, NOT 2017. 2017 tax returns are not due until next year (2018).

There is no additional extension given. Are you getting a refund or do you owe? If you are getting a refund, it doesn't matter when you file because the IRS owes you money.

If you have a tax liability, file your return as soon as you can. The IRS will assess a penalty for late filing, and you can then send them a letter requesting abatement of the penalty due to the fact that you suffered a stroke and are not able to use your right hand, etc.

I have had several clients who filed late because of serious illnesses and owed money, but I wrote to the IRS requesting abatement of the penalty, and the IRS granted it.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Thank you. I may owe some but it won't be much. My message should have said stroke rather than strike, but I am still having some trouble with writing or typing. That is what I though, but wanted to make sure.

My pleasure.

Please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you.

I hope you recover soon!

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 month ago

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to assist you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent