Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If you have to paper file a tax return because someone else…

If you have to paper...
If you have to paper file a tax return because someone else has improperly claimed a dependent, is there a special IRS form to use or will a simple attachment suffice?
10/13/2017
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

You will need to attach supporting documents regarding your dependent.

These supporting documents are listed here

https://www.eitc.irs.gov/eitc/files/downloads/f886-h-dep.pdf

Send copies only - do not send original documents.

Attach to your tax return - and mail all together.

If you are a tax return preparer - generally you should attach Form 8948, Preparer Explanation for Not Filing Electronically, to the client's paper return.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8948.pdf

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor