Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I filed for an extension in April and mailed my return and…

Customer Question
I filed for an...

I filed for an extension in April and mailed my return and money owing last Friday, October 6th. I realized after looking at my copy that I forgot to sign the return. Should I send another copy with my signature or wait for them to contact me?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/13/2017
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 9 months ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. When a return is filed without signature, the IRS does not consider it to be a valid return. So, in spite of the fact that the IRS does not like to receive multiple returns, to be safe, you should send in another copy with your signature. You can attach a letter of explanation if you choose. Since the IRS does not consider the first return without the signature valid, the only way to insure that you don't get a late filing penalty is to file the second return with your signature.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!