Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a client who had their W-2's filed by another

I have a client who...
I have a client who had their W-2's filed by another company, and it was filed incorrectly, I have to now file an amended W-2 and he earned income in California and Washington - How do I file the amended W-2 showing the income from both states?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/12/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

The state section of the W2 should have each state separated as to what the person earned in each. Some people will still put all the income for the resident state then list the non resident state with the income for it only. This duplicates the amount for the resident state. In that case you enter in your system the difference for the resident state and because the resident state will be taxing both it will work out correctly.

The company that issues the W2 correction should be the same company that issued the original. Your post sounded like you were going to correct the W2 , could you clarify?

Another company filed the original W-2, however, the client doesn't trust their numbers or them, and does not want them to file the corrected W-2? I think that's why I'm having trouble finding out where and how to file the W-2C?

You cannot file a W2C unless you filed the original. You cannot make a change if this is the individual's W2 that is not allowed.

If the W2 is incorrect he has to take it back and have it corrected through the issuer. Are you sure it is not correct?

we are sure it is not correct

Then he must take that back to the issuer.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Not what I wanted to hear, but thank you

If the employer refused to make the correct entries then the return can be filed with the correct information as long as you have proof of what that information should be.

You file his return and attach Form 4852, you’ll need to estimate the wages he earned, taxes withheld, and the period he worked for that employer. You should base the estimate on year-to-date information from his final pay stub, if possible. When filing a Form 4852 instead of a Form W-2, there may be delays processing his refund while they verify the information you gave the IRS.

You just cannot change an issued W2 yourself.