Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How can I get an extension to file federal and state taxes

Customer Question
for 2016 JA: What state are...
How can I get an extension to file federal and state taxes for 2016
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Missouri
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I filed a federal application for automatic extension of time to file U.S. Individual Income tax return with a $1,600 payment.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need more time past the October 16 deadline. I had a prostate cancer operation and a flood in my home and I need more time. I don't think I did anything with state taxes.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Tax
10/12/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 3 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, federal and state taxes with an extension are due 10/16/17. There are no other extensions.

If you need more time to file, the IRS and state will assess a late filing penalty. Once that happens, you can request a waiver of the penalty due to the reasons you mentioned.

I wrote such a letter for one of my clients several years ago who was in a similar situation, and the IRS waived all penalties and interest.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent