Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I filed an extension for 2013 tax return but no actual tax

return. Do I have until...
i filed an extension for 2013 tax return but no actual tax return. Do I have until Oct. 15, 2017 to file for refund?
10/12/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

If you filed an extension, you are correct. You have until 10/15/17 to file and receive your refund.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you know where I can find that in writing?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for you quick answer. I need to file an NOL carryback claim for 2013. Can I file form 1045 or do I have file 1040X? If the latter, can I file a 1040 and 1040X at the same time?

You would not file Form 1040X because you have not yet filed your original tax return.

Use Form 1045.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it would not be too late to file form 1045?

You must file Form 1045 within 1 year after the end of the year in which an NOL, unused credit, net section 1256 contracts loss, or claim of right adjustment arose.

What year is the NOL for?

See this:

Individuals can get a refund by filing Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, instead of Form 1045. An estate or trust can file an amended Form 1041, U.S. Income Tax Return for Estates and Trusts. In most cases, you must file an amended return no later than 3 years after the due date of the return for the applicable tax year. If you use Form 1040X or other amended return, follow the instructions for that return. Attach to the amended return a copy of Schedule A of Form 1045 showing the computation of the NOL and, if applicable, a copy of Schedule B of Form 1045 showing the computation of the NOL carryover. Complete a separate Form 1040X or other amended return for each year for which you request an adjustment. The procedures for Form 1040X and

If you must use Form 1040X, place it on top of your 1040, and mail both in the same envelope. Mail to IRS by certified mail, return receipt requested.

At this point, please take a moment to rate my answers since we are now well beyond the scope of your original question.

Per Just Answer rules, questions on different topics are required to be posted as separate questions. I have extended a courtesy in this instance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To answer your question, the tax year is 2013. So you said I should file 1040x rather 1045? (You have replied quickly and accurately so I will give you a 5-star rating).

You will file 1040X with your 1040.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent