Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a Colombian national and a lawful resident of the US (

Green Card Holder). I need...
I am a Colombian national and a lawful resident of the US ( Green Card Holder). I need to submit a US Residency Certification for Social Security contributions purposes in Colombia. In other words I need to submit evidence that I am resident in the US and that as such, I pay income tax, social security, etc.... I did dome research in Internet, and I found in the IRS website the following:Form 8802 - Application for US Residency Certification
Form 6166 - Certification of US Tax ResidencyThe problem that I found is that there is no place in the Application where I can mention that the Certification is for Colombia, since the attachment, i.e. Page No. 3 only mentions the countries with which the US has Tax Treaties.
Taking into account the above, I need to know how I can get a US Tax Residency Certification to submit to the Colombian Social Security. Am I using the right Forms?
10/11/2017
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

According to instructions - Purpose of Form

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8802.pdf

Form 8802 is used to request Form 6166, a letter of U.S. residency certification for purposes of claiming benefits under an income tax treaty or VAT exemption. You cannot use Form 6166 to substantiate that U.S. taxes were paid for purposes of claiming a foreign tax credit.

.

So far - that is why ONLY countries that have tax treaties with the US are listed on that form.

See instructions for line 11 - For any country not listed, enter the country in the blank spaces at the bottom of column D.

So you may write "Colombia" here.

.

But you might not need that certification...

You may proof your US residency by providing a copy of your Green Card. That is a very common and widely accepted document.

In additional - you may need to register at the Embassy of Colombia - and that registration may be used as a proof of your residency.

http://atlanta.consulado.gov.co/

Or you may specifically ask the Colombian Social Security office - which document they will accept as a proof of your residency.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Hi Lev,Awesome!! Thanks a lot for your reply. Regards, Maria