Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My dependent son received a 1099-R in the amount of $5500…

My dependent son received a...
My dependent son received a 1099-R in the amount of $5500 from his fathers pension since his father passed away. Do I have to file their own tax return for that Pension amount?
10/11/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Yes, your son will need to file and report the pension paid to him. As the beneficiary, he is taxed the same way his father would have paid tax on the pension had he not passed away. This does not stop you from claiming him as a dependent. You do need to make certain his return is marked that he can be claimed as a dependent.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Thank you.

You are most welcome.