Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am on disability I am a US citizen my benefit is

Customer Question
I am on disability...

I am on disability I am a US citizen my benefit is calculated on only my US income from 1992. I lived and worked in Canada from 1976-92 according to the transformation agreement shouldn't my contributions to Canadian Social insurance on income earned be included in the calculation for my US SSA Disability and later my SSA benefit. If you can't help can you please point me to someone who can. Thanks

Accountant's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I live in NC and in Canada Quebec

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes I receive SSA disability but from what I understand my monthly payments have been to low as Canadian income is not counted

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I would appreciate any advice

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Tax
10/9/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 6 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Your Canadian earnings will NOT be included into calculations of US social security benefits or disability benefits.
Years you worked in Canada may be included as credits for qualification purposes if you have not worked long enough to qualify for benefits - that is based on so-called totalization agreement between the US and Canada.

But the actual earnings in Canada will not be counted when the amount of benefits is calculated.

You might be eligible for Canadian benefits - and that is something you may want to verify - in this case - you may receive both benefits - in the US and in Canada.

Questions?

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor