Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a Roth 401K and I'm looking to roll it over to a Roth…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a Roth 401K and I'm looking to roll it over to a Roth IRA are there any tax implications?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What more would you like to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

I made the first contribution to the account in 2011

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
10/6/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 10 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

No, I would suggest a Direct Rollover. Because a distribution from a designated Roth account consists of both pre-tax money (earnings on the Roth contributions) and basis (Roth contributions), it must be rolled over into a designated Roth account in another plan through a direct rollover. If the distribution is made directly to you and then rolled over within 60 days, the basis portion cannot be rolled over to another designated Roth account, but can be rolled over into a Roth IRA.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Still confused.
Okay, so if the Rollover is performed by a the new IRA company, is that okay?
I don't plan on depositing any of the Roth 401K money into my accounts.

Yes, that would be a direct rollover. There is no tax for you and not a problem with the 5 year rule.

I am credited when you rate in a positive way.