Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was a michigan resident for majority of this year, moved…

Customer Question
I was a michigan...

I was a michigan resident for majority of this year, moved to maryland in a temporary situation from september-october, and am not a washington DC resident can i file exempt on my maryland W4 so state taxes are not taken out of my pay for the remainder of this tax year?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

My job is in DC

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
10/6/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

If you were living in Maryland while working in DC you cannot claim exempt on the Maryland W4. If you are no longer living in Maryland (at all) then you would need to complete the proper W4 for the state where you are living.

even if i only lived in maryland for a little over a month? i still owe maryland state taxes?
also, it was a temporary living situation with a family member, so i was never a "resident" of maryland.

For the month you were there yes. You would be a part year resident of Maryland because you were living there and working in a reciprocal state (DC). The time you were physically in Maryland and working in DC is taxable to Maryland.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Hi, just wanted to check back to see if you responded further.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4