Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son inherited a property in Romania from his ant who was…

Customer Question
My son inherited a property...
My son inherited a property in Romania from his ant who was German citizen. Does he has to pay inheritance taxes to Germany for the property inherited in Romania, because she was German citizen?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
10/6/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 10 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

German law dictates who pas the tax. In the case of an inheritance, it will be the heir (your son) that pays the inheritance tax. If nor the deceased aunt is domiciled in Germany, only ‘German-situ' properties transferred are subject to tax.

If the aunt's estate is all under Germany Estate law because she was still domiciled in Germany then he pays the tax to Germany.