Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Church event: Missionaries from a local charitable group

come to town; we take...
Church event: Missionaries from a local charitable group come to town; we take them to lunch. Deductible? Why/Why not?
10/6/2017
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

No the cost of the lunch is not deductible. It was not paid as an expense in doing the service of a qualified organization. That is a personal expense and not allowed.

You may be able to deduct some amounts you pay in giving services to a qualified organization. The amounts must be: Unreimbursed,

Directly connected with the services,

Expenses you had only because of the services you gave, and

Not personal, living, or family expenses.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4