Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have lived with my girlfriend for 15 years and did almost…

Customer Question
I have lived with...

I have lived with my girlfriend for 15 years and did almost a complete house makeover and we broke up and she gave me several thousand dollars for what I did and would like to know if I have to pay taxes on this

Accountant's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Washington state

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know of she gave me a personal check

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/5/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 10 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Did you have out of pocket costs for the improvements that you made? Did these costs exceed the amount that you received?

they did

The amount you would have received would not be considered income it would just be reimbursement of these expenses.