Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I was given money that was owed to me and want to know if I…

Customer Question
I was given money...

I was given money that was owed to me and want to know if I have to pay taxes or anything on it

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Washington

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not that I know

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
10/5/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you were owned the money for services you provided - that will be your compensation and will be included into your self-employment income.

If you were owned the money for assets you sold - a part of that amount that is above your basis will be your taxable gain.

If you loaned the money - and that is a repayment of the loan - the interest you collect will be taxable, but the amount repaid will not be taxable.

Questions?

ok thankyou it was money for work that I had done for her in the house and when I left she paid me it was several thousand dollars
I don't want to spend any more for a call just answer on this
I guess there is not an answer to question a little upset by this so will try and cancel with you.

Because that payment is a compensation for services - that will be taxable income.

Moreover - that will be your self-employment income - and additional self-employment taxes will be due.

The good news is that you will be able to deduct your qualified business expenses - and will be taxed only on net business income.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.

You actually will be treated as running your own business and will report all business income and expenses - on the schedule C -

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

You will deduct qualified business expenses on that form.

The net income (after deductions) will be reported on the form 1040 line 12 -

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf

If the business has net income over $400, it may be required to file Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040se.pdf

and net self-employment income is subject to 15.3% self-employment tax.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor