Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can a minor give me a money gift without tax liabity to

Customer Question
Can a minor give...

Can a minor give me a money gift without tax liabity to either of us (using the federal gift tax exception of $14,000 of course)?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What more do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

The minor’s (14 yrs old) parents will each be gifting me next year, so if I am correct that will be $28,000.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
10/5/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 8 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

That is correct - regardless of t age - same gift law applies.
The minor may gift to ANY person including parents.

The only issue will be that the minor may not make legal decision - and that decision of behalf of the minor should be done by a parent or a guardian...

So in your example - the parent will make a decision to use minor's money to gift himself... and that may create ethical issues and potentially legal issues if the minor will object that decision after reaching the age of majority...

But from gift tax prospective - you are absolutely correct.